Skip to content Skip to main menu
I'd like to…


Is your rental property income sufficiently protected?

By Lia de Sousa on

Owners of rental strata properties need to ensure they take out insurance to cover landlord’s fixtures and fittings, rent default and public liability for inside their lots/units.

Strata Insurance provides cover for a range of circumstances specifically related to living in a strata community, including:

  • Public Liability – covers legal liability of Owners Corporations
  • Contents – covers common contents such as appliances, equipment, furniture, fittings and works of art in any common area for which the Owners Corporation is responsible.
  • Fidelity Guarantee (optional extension) – protection for the Owners Corporation against fraudulent embezzlement or fraudulent misappropriation of the Owners Corporation’s funds and tangible assets.
  • Office Bearers (optional extension) – protects members of the Owners Corporation committee where liability has arisen from an alleged or wrongful act, omission or breach of duty.

Lia de Sousa, General Manager, Strata at Whitbread, says, “Many people are not aware that Strata Insurance does not cover owner’s fixtures and fittings such as carpets, blinds, light fittings and public liability inside their lots / units.”

Owners Corporation managers warn that if owners do not take out appropriate insurance covers such as Landlords and Contents Insurance, then as a property owner, they could expose themselves to a significant loss or a public liability claim.

For example, if a visitor slipped inside your lot/unit and was hurt, the injured party might decide to sue the Owners Corporation to cover their medical expenses. In this instance, the Owners Corporation could say they are not responsible as the incident took place on private property. The owner of the lot/unit – the landlord – may be held liable.

In another scenario, a pipe bursts in a property and damages the carpets and walls. The strata policy will cover the damage to the walls however the carpet being classified as a content item is the responsibility of the property owner.

The owner would need to make a claim under their Landlords Insurance. Landlords Insurance should offer protection in these circumstances, as long as the cover has been extended appropriately.

If you would like to find out more about how you can protect yourself with Landlord Insurance, contact Whitbread Insurance Brokers today:

P | 1300 424 627
E |


LinkedIn WIB narrow
This insight article is not intended to be personal advice and you should not rely on it as a substitute for any form of personal advice.  Please contact Whitbread Associates Pty Ltd ABN 69 005 490 228 Licence Number: 229092 trading as Whitbread Insurance Brokers for further information or refer to our website.

The Whitbread Channel

How Premium Funding works fin
Michael Giansiracusa

At a time when insurance premiums are on the increase, premium funding can help you maintain your business' cash flow, without compromising on your insurance coverage.

Renee Cassidy Horizontal 741
Michael Giansiracusa

The Victorian Branch of Women in Insurance presented Renee with this prestigious award at their annual AGM in August.  

Stocksy txp0999249dR4E000 Small 175541 1
Lia de Sousa

Placing Strata Insurance through a broker like Whitbread, can create efficiencies within your business from a time saving perspective. 


Sign up to our newsletter

Please Enter Valid Email Address

Please Enter First Name

Please Enter Last Name